Welcome to Jackson's Lodge & Outpost

Jackson's Lodge & Outposts is a family-operated business that has been providing guests with finest fly-in fishing and hunting trips in Manitoba.
Based in Lac du Bonnet, Jackson's Lodge is easy to get to. Operating our own air service Adventure Air and our own fleet of highly maintained aircraft.
Over the years, it has become a favorite destination for those in search of great fishing, friendly service and five star accommodation in the North.


Toll Free: 1-800-463-4744
Office: 1-204-345-8322

Website: www.jacksonslodge.com
Email:
info@jacksonslodge.com

Mailing Address:
Box 670
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Canada R0E 1A0

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

 
The first week started out strong, with a Sunday night scouting and although it was windy, we did have a cow responding to the call quite aggressively. So, with some anticipation we returned Monday morning arriving in the quiet bay well before sunrise. We drifted in a bay behind a rock outcrop and after calling a few minutes I heard what I thought was the sound of antlers against a solid tree. So I signalled both hunters and I padelled from behind the rock to find a bull trying to beat up a 8" diameter pine tree. It saw us as we moved into position and quick consideration was given to the size. My first estimate was 44-45 inches. After having the bull look at us for a while I began to have second thoughts about the measurement, thinking it may be less. Then as it started to moved and give us a glance we saw it for it's real size, and very respectable bull moose. It was about to make the "get out of Dodge move" so I gave a quick call and Doug was able to prepare for a shot. Initially the shot did not look that great, meaning, there was no tightening up I was expecting. So unsure what had happened I said "let's take a quick look" and off we went.
We found the spot where the bull was standing and I started to follow the track. Suddenly I realized I had picked up the track which brought him to the sight, not away from it. So I said I would start a 180 degree sweep, which in most cases works very well, and it did this time as well. Only 70 yds from the water lay Doug's moose which measures 45". He hit the animal in the right rear flank angle forward into the lungs.
After the 4 hour cleanup we did do an evening hunt and continued again the following morning. We kept going out calling throughout the week with no response, but we did find a few places with plenty of action, we just needed to make it happen.
On Friday morning we started out hunting the West end of Harrop Lake. Slowly moving East throughout the day and planning to be at the Lodge for dark around 8PM. We had stopped at numerous spots looking for sign and we were just on our way up the river when came around the bend to find the second bull looking right at us. I stopped the boat, waiting for Bob to get the rifle ready and I decided I better give a quick call to maintain his interest, and it worked. With a single shot with the bull facing us the Bull dropped in the river. Bob's bull measured 45 3/4". When you look at the antlers they look so much alike.

This week was very enjoyable, had two gentlemen with great character, people you like to be around and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute.
Visit our website for more Hunting Stories. www.jacksonslodge.com